@janeson59

Living proof that the Universe has a sense of humor.

Today I found out that my mother named me after a murdered girl

Posted October 7, 2011 | My Family - Past & Present, Welcome to My Life | 11 Comments

The Death of Dana Marie Weaver

My birth name wasn’t Janeson Keeley; it was Donna Marie Duvall. (The whys, hows, and wherefores of that are now here.)

I wasn’t named after anyone in my family. The story was that my father wanted to name me Danielle (Danielle Duvall?!?), but my mother had known a girl in high school whose name, Dana Marie, she liked. She decided that she liked “Donna” better than “Dana,” though, so Donna Marie it was.  BOR-ing – or so I thought until today.

I was going through my Blogroll, seeing which blogs were still active and which weren’t (a year is my cut-off since I’ve gone months without writing here). One of the links is to Beth Macy’s blog, Intrepid Paper Girl. I went there and the title of the most recent post caught my eye: Journalism Ethics: Mystery desserts, midnight karma and the best story I never wrote.

It’s a good post about journalistic ethics, but when I got to: “In 1949 a 16-year-old Eagle Scout killed a beautiful Jefferson High School cheerleader in the basement of a prominent church,” I had to try to get some more information about that because my mother was a student at Jefferson then.  I Googled “roanoke murder 1949 eagle scout” and found a link to a newspaper archive with the article in it.

The girl’s name was Dana Marie Weaver.

Funny, but Mom never mentioned that part….

More information:

Comments

11 Comments to “Today I found out that my mother named me after a murdered girl”

1. mariodacatsmom
    October 7th, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

Don’t you just love surprises of this nature. Family secrets – they hd plenty of them in those days.

2. janeson
    October 7th, 2011 @ 7:08 pm

[ insert Twilight Zone music ]

3. Bob Gold
    February 10th, 2012 @ 2:09 pm

I was a Jefferson high school sophomore in 1949 when the murder took place. I went to boy scout meetings in the same church. I vividly remember the murder and the shock that went through the community. BTW, my family also has a plot in Evergreen cemetary.

4. Dana Foster
    October 19th, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

I also named after Dana Marie Weaver!
    there are times I fell my Mothere was sick, to name me after someone that had sucha tragic death! After reading this artical, I will change my attitude!

5. laurie platt
    May 1st, 2013 @ 10:03 am

I have so many articles on this crime, what a tragic thing to happpened. It was “The Crime of the Century” here in Roanoke.

6. janeson
    May 1st, 2013 @ 10:37 am

Laurie – And so strange that I didn’t hear about it until a couple of years ago!

7. laurie platt
    May 1st, 2013 @ 5:13 pm

More about Dana and Lee Scott. Lee was pardoned in 1968 or around that time by the governor of Virginia. If he is still alive, I belive he lives in Ohio.

8. Marilyn Sink
    October 6th, 2013 @ 7:24 pm

Oh my gosh!!! I can’t believe this – I have searched on line for ages since I have been on line trying to find something about this case.
    I was in Lee Jr High when this happened and there were many classmates who knew Dana Marie from church. My sister Ann was in Jefferson and knew both of them.

9. laurie platt
    November 1st, 2013 @ 2:47 pm

In the Nov/Dec 2013 issue of the Roanoker, they had done an article about Dana written by Nelson Harris

10. janeson
    November 2nd, 2013 @ 8:24 am

Thanks for letting me know! I’ll have to check that out. It might help explain all the folks who’ve found my posts about her recently.

11. laurie platt
    November 2nd, 2013 @ 10:10 pm

Nelson Harrie who wrote up a story about Dana will speak at the Raleigh Court Civic League Meeting 7pm on Nov 14 at the Christ Lutheran Church on Grandin Rd.

• Get Free Stuff to Review!

Qualify to Try New Brands for Free - Receive Something Special in the Mail - Share Your Feedback
  • Keeping My Sanity One E-cigarette at a Time

Learn more about e-cigs at www.vapingexperts.com
  • Why am I here?

JanesonA common position: Tinkering with my iPhone at Starbucks

You'd think that with all the time I spend working on the computer, I'd pick another way to spend my time. Alas, that is not the case. I've noticed - in my advancing age - that my brain is getting full. Since I don't want to take the chance of forgetting anything interesting (if only to myself), I thought it might be nice to have a place to offload the stories and minutiae that are filling it up so I can make room for more stuff.

Since you've found your way here, I hope that you find something that's interesting to you, too.

Janeson
    Visit my profile on about.me Friend Me on Facebook Friend me on Goodreads Connect with me on Google+ Connect with me on LinkedIn Follow me on Pinterest Tumblr Follow Me On Twitter Subscribe to my channel on YouTube

Google Authorship

• Special Bonus Code

Reading my stories here gives you a pass on having to hear them in person. Use code word BLOG to activate :-)

• Amazon Prime Video: The Next Best Thing to Netflix